Practical information about Sri Lanka for first-time visitors:
- dont forget vaccination against Hepatitis A and B and Typhus
- Bring enough mosquito repelent with Deet content at least 20%. If you plan sleeping outside in the nature or in the simplest accommodation,
then bring your own mosquito net.
- Sun protection: sun-glass, hat, sunscreen.
- in the arrivals hall purchase tourist SIM card for your phone (better if you bring extra device) of local telco operator
(basic package from Dialog for LKR 1.200 for data and voice should be enough for couple of weeks). You can find good signal throughout the island.
- in the same arrivals hall you can find several ATM (cash-machine) to local currency (max. allowed amount is LKR 100.000 - eqv. 650USD).
ATM are available in nearly every town.
- As foreigners, you will be usually charged double the local price - so bargaining is recommended.
- Rate of TukTuk (three-wheeler) is approx. LKR 50 per 1km, but in some cases it differs (eg. around the ariport). Always agree on final price before getting in.